Translate

Monday, January 7, 2019

(Baby You Can) Drive My Car…In Vietnam, it’s more like Drive My Motorbike

As you have probably surmised from my blog posts, I was always on the go, transported from Point A to Point B, typically by motorbike. Motorbikes represent a very common mode of transportation in Vietnam and are not easily overlooked, especially in the larger cities.



This is not to say that there are no cars, buses, or vans; there are such vehicles on the road in Vietnam and I did rely on these vehicles at some point during my stay but the clear majority of vehicles on the road are motorbikes. Just to give you an idea of what it looks like on the streets, take a look at the following photos.







If you are wondering why motorbikes are so prevalent in Vietnam, the rationale is actually logical and straightforward. From an economic perspective, cars are much more expensive to purchase and maintain than a motorbike. In fact, most families will invest in two to three motorbikes per household which is still much cheaper than a single car. From a practical perspective, motorbikes are easier to navigate through traffic, can transport multiple passengers and sometimes entire families as well as groceries/cargo, and are easier to park/store (many Vietnamese often keep their motorbikes inside their house).
Although I had observed the prevalence of motorbikes from the moment I landed in Vietnam, the importance of the motorbike didn’t register until my first day at the school. During my first day activities, I was invited to accompany classes of students on a field trip to a historical site in the city. Wanting to absorb as much as I could of Vietnamese culture, I immediately agreed and was told to meet the classes in front of the school later that afternoon. About 10 minutes before the scheduled time of departure, I made my way toward the front of the campus. As I got closer, there was something that I saw (or I should say didn’t see) that struck me as odd. I was looking for a school bus (which is rather large and tends to stick out) but I didn’t see one. I thought that perhaps the bus was parked along the side of the school and it was hidden from view. When I got to the front of the school gates, it would turn out that there would be no bus. The students were all on motorbikes and would drive themselves to the field trip destination. I was stunned to say the least, coming from a school environment that requires a significant amount of preparation, safety precautions, and paperwork for approval to transport students to a field trip destination. Everyone proceeded as a group to the destination on their individual motorbikes and all made it safely but the experience nonetheless drew a stark comparison between the schools of Vietnam and the United States and field trip procedures.
During our many conversations involving Vietnamese culture, Mr. Linh had informed me that there were basically two requirements for operating a motorbike: (1) the operator must be at least 16 years of age; and (2) the driver and all passengers must wear a helmet. I also believe that there was a limit to three passengers on a motorbike although I was not sure if this applied to passengers who were young children or babies. Of course, there is a distinction between a motorbike, a moped, and a bicycle which of course I do not believe there was an age limit (although any kids less than 12 years old willing to ride a bicycle on a major thoroughfare in Vietnam would merit a badge of valor). 
That said, there were no other rules (at least as far as I could tell) regarding rules of the road. It seemed to be “first come, first served,” enter at your own risk type of rules for motorbike operators. For the record, I can say honestly that I was never scared or worried about the abilities of the driver that I was riding along with. Each driver always made sure that I had a helmet on and operated the vehicle safely. Of course, being a physics teacher, I was always thinking about Newton’s Laws of Motion, kinetic energy, and the Law of the Conservation of Linear Momentum but again, for the entire three weeks I was in Vietnam and the numerous times I was on the back of a motorbike, nothing ever happened. In fact, it was exhilarating to just sit back and enjoy the view and scenery from the back seat. The prevalence of motorbikes on the streets of Vietnam will definitely rank as one of my most memorable observations.   

Coming Up Next: There is so much to describe and explain from this wonderful opportunity that was afforded me by the Fulbright Award but I also recognize the need bring the blog to an end. In that light, I have worked to combine and condense many of my observations and am now prepared to compose my final blog entry. It will be time for me to reflect on my last days in Vietnam and my long-lasting memories that I will hold for years to come.

Disclaimer: The blog, "Dr. H's Fulbright Experience", is not an official site of the Fulbright Program or the U.S. Department of State. The views expressed in this blog are entirely those of George Hademenos and do not represent the views of the Fulbright Program, the U.S. Department of State, or any of its partner organizations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word…I beg to Differ, Mr. John. Goodbye is the Hardest Word!

As I entered the final week of my three-week stay in Vietnam, I still had a myriad of tasks and responsibilities weighing on my mind but I ...